Here is a short guide/tutorial in how to install new WordPress 3.0. I assume you have downloaded the latest version of WordPress from wordpress.org else do it.
To install WordPress you will need to have a local or remote web server with:
When you have extracted all WordPress files to the server you go to the address you extracted it to.
Example: http://localhost/wordpress/ or http://your-domain.com/
And WordPress will ask you to create a configuration file
Click the button and it will take you to a form where you will fill in your database settings. For security reasons should you change the “Table Prefix” to something else.
When you have if the information was correct and WordPress could connect you will be sent to this page
You should change the Username to something else than admin for example your nickname. The username is the name you will login with and it’s case-sensitive.
Now your installation is complete 🙂
Extra security tips
- If you can, move wp-config.php up to it’s parent folde. Often on a web host you can put it outside of the folder “public_html” using an FTP.
- Install login lockdown to prevent “Brute force attack” and install WP Security Scan for extra security.
- Keep WordPress and plugins up to date. WordPress allows you to auto update inside the admin panel.
- There are a lot more to do to secure your install only google for “secure wordpress install” if you want to know more.
- Here you can read more about installing wordpress from WordPress own site http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress
If you want to learn more about WordPress visit http://codex.wordpress.org